The SSV is entitled, by the Italian law n.46, 1982, to High Qualification in the Applied Research Field. In
1993 it was recognized as a Test Laboratory in compliance with UNI-EN 45000
. It is, at present, accredited by ACCREDIA in compliance with UNI CEI EN ISO/IEC 17025 n° 0073
for the tests reported in www.accredia.it
and in "Services" and is a Notified body in the European Union (N. 1694) for the application of the Directive 89/106 on architectural glazing.
SSV has been operating since 1956 in a site in Murano -Venice provided by the Venetian Municipality. It is the only Italian body devoted, by its institutional deed, to dealing with the scientific and technological issues of the whole national glass industry (hollow, flat and technical glass, glass fibres, hand-made glass, raw materials, refractories, furnaces, etc.), and acts as a linkage between research on the one side, which it often develops in cooperation with Universities and other Italian and foreign centers, and industrial application of the obtained results on the
New laboratories have been set in 2000 in the premises of Parco Scientifico e Tecnologico,
49 staff (August, 1st, 2009), is made up of graduates and technicians.
The area of the building where the laboratories, offices and library are located at present, is about 2000 sq.m. In the Marghera area (about 750 sq.m) the test laboratories for architectural glazing are located, as well as the mobile laboratory for environmental
Together with other institutes, established in seven other industrial fields, the SSV works under the guidance of the Italian Ministry of Production Activities.
It is financed partly by compulsory contributions from the Italian glass companies and import traders and partly by the direct sale of its services, and by various contributions.
The SSV is administered by an Amministratore Unico, appointed by the CCIAA of Venice.
The activity carried out at SSV has developed in two main directions: technical assistance and applied research for industrial development.
A specialised Library is open to the public and a scientifical journal is published.
The equipment available, the staff experience and training, and the mobile laboratories are all designed to grant timely intervention and to supply prompt answers and solutions to the problems submitted by glass factories.